Flying Monkeys Craft Brewery has some vegan options
|Address:||107 Dunlop Street East
Barrie, ON, L4M 2A6
|Double checked by:|
|Added:||about 4 years ago|
Products by Flying Monkeys Craft Brewery:
Not Vegan Friendly
"Neat questions. So here are some answers:
1. We do not use any animal products in any of our beers.
2. Our bottled beers available at the LCBO are Hoptical Illusion Almost Pale Ale, Smashbomb Atomic IPA, Netherworld Cascadian Dark Ale, Flying Monkeys Amber Ale, and Antigravity Light Ale.
3. Our filters use diatemaceous earth (DE)--a filtration sand comprised of sedimentary rock which may contain the crushed skeletons of prehistoric critters. Is that bad? We do not use isinglass or gelatin.
4. We also us filtration powder that is DE and a powdery perlite (crushed alumino-silica rock or naturally occuring silicon dioxcide).
5. Our casks are unfiltered, and unless we call something a honey beer, there is no honey. We made a cask of Smash Jezebel HoneyBomb for C'est What? last spring, but it was just a one-off, specialty experiment which was a sweetened riff on our Smashbomb Atomic IPA. That's the only honey we've ever used. Honestly, we didn't love it.
6. We never use eggs.
7. We have never brewed a milk stout with lactose --the unfermentable sugar found in milk. So NO to milk.
8. We brew all our own beer, ourselves, right here in downtown Barrie. None of our beers are contract brewed or produced off this premises.
9. We do have some new beers coming down the pipe with turbinado sugar, maple sugar, Madagascar Bourbob Vanilla pods, beers filtered through oak staves . . . everything I'm thinking of are all of plant-origins. Hey, I'm thinking we're vegan!
Interestingly enough, we will soon (by mid 2012) be labelling all allergens in our beers. Maybe a vegan notification might be useful, too. If we have to design new labels, why not?
Hope this info was useful, and don't hesitate to ask more questions. I do not know much about what counts as officially vegan, but I'm developing the idea that our beers are all natural and safe. We do use varieties of organic hops and nonGMO'd malts. Not all hop varieties are grown organically, but we try to get them whenever we can."
"None of our LCBO bottled beers have sugar in them. Barley, hops, water, and yeast. That's all. We get all our flavours from the varieties of hops and the different types of roast and malted barley or different strains of yeast.
Of course, that being said, Antigravity has undergone a recipe tweaking recently, so I better check on it. They're brewing a batch with a different, sweeter malt, but I don't think anything else was added. Adjunct or additives are not our style. And, yes, we do brew a light ale --for slow-pitch softball and lawn mowing -- but the nice hoppy craftier brews you'd find at C'est What? are all vegan approved.
Of the beers in the LCBO, Hoptical Illusion Almost Pale Ale, Netherworld Cascadian Dark Ale, and Flying Monkeys Amber Ale are definitely vegan according to your criterion. Smashbomb Atomic IPA would be vegan, too. No adjunct or additives in Smashbomb --just buckets and buckets of hops! You can get that one on tap in a lot of micro-friendly pubs.
The casks would be a different story and should be evaluated on a case by case basis. Any info on Belgian Candi Sugar (yes, "candi" spelled with an "i"). It's brown and raw-looking, like hardened molassass, and it does have that rich molassass-y flavour. C'est What? will be getting a 16-18%ABV Imperial Baltic Porter from us called Divinity in the next few weeks, and I know it has Belgian Candi Sugar in it to help get the alcohol content up there. It tastes like a port --delicious! The Belgian Candi Sugar is the only wild card for you in that one. Hope you can drink it, because it is a whole new level in craft beer!"